Thread: Player Discussion: Derek Stepan Version 2.0
View Single Post
Old
04-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Stepanformayor*

vCash: 500
Gagline how can you say he has no leverage? If leading you team in scoring, 6th in the NHL in plus minus, top 25 in scoring, top 15 in TOI for forwards, kills every penalty, plays on every power play, and the Rangers have nothing in the pipline to replace Stepan. If we don't get this done before next year's training camp we go with Brass as your number 1 center, Richards number 2 and Boyle your number 3 center. I would say Stepan has leverage. If you don't think these are leverage points i guess conversation over.

If you think Stepan's agent cares that Sather only signs 2 year bridge contracts, believe they don't. The fact that he signed all those other guys to only bridge contracts does not matter either. Stepan is so much better than any of the guys you mentioned it's funny. I would argue the fact that Sather does not extend guys that he may of lost his leverage on Stepan. If he extends him 2 months ago (like most teams do) it would not have cost of as much as it's going to.

The fact that they may not have cap room for Stepan is not his problem. If they want to sign him they will make it work. Stepan has 100% done his part in the process. It is time for the Rangers to step up to the plate and do the right thing with a young home grown talent.

It would not surprise me one bit if this things goes far into the summer next year. This is a very critical signing for this team, and I hope they get it right. It would not surprise me one bit if Stepan is a hold out next year. I hope not but it could happen.

Let me ask you a simple question. What is Stepan worth to you and how long of a contract would you give him? In my opinion he gets 4 years 4-4.5 a year. If not more!!