View Single Post
Old
04-26-2013, 05:27 PM
57special

vCash: 50
Scott Stevens was sort of like Bobby Hull. Not the greatest technique as a fighter, but so strong they would knock the other player over. Tim Horton was a similar type. Crazy strong, and won his fights by wrestling. When I was growing up (60's) nobody touched Howe when he was on the ice. I thought it was because he was an aging superstar and it was out of respect. Sorta like how Beliveau was treated. It wasn't till years later that I realized that nobody wanted to tangle with him, even when he was in his mid-late 30's (which was ancient for a hockey player back then).

Neely was very tough. I think you'd have to call him at least a star, maybe a poor man's superstar. Al Secord was another excellent player who was a first class scrapper. Both these guys produced far more than a Lucic type. Unfortunately both these players had excellent careers cut short due to serious injury.

Orr was tough, but The Bruins (sensibly) tried to keep him from scrapping. Why have the best player in the world sit in the penalty box when it could be Wayne Cashman or Ted Greene?

57special is offline   Reply With Quote