Moving forward: how do we improve?
View Single Post
04-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Good Canadian Kid!
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Kirk
My plan to improve (in no particular order):
Continue to draft and develop well
- the implication with the word 'continue' is debatable I suppose, but I like what we've done in that department so far. This is the only way to build a team for continued, long-term success IMO.
Trade Buff for help up front plus
- the point of this is to improve the offense, shake up the core, and rid the team of a "sometimes" player. I'm also frightened about how early and fast Buff's decline will occur because of his physique so I'd like to deal him while his value is reasonably high.
Acquire a legitimate 1B goaltender to push Pavelec
- As I've always said, I hope to be proven wrong but I don't see Pavelec as the goalie that will get us to the promised land. I don't think he's above average in anything except athleticism (that includes puck playing, positioning, awareness, rebound control, and consistency).
Be opportunistic and creative in the unique trade market this offseason
- It's impossible to elaborate on this because the possibilities are endless, but I could spend hours on Capgeek looking at each team's cap situation and future contracts. Good roster players will be available via trade because of the cap going down (see Ladd, Andrew for a historical example of how a good player can be acquired because of a cap crunch).
less passive team defense
- please god, no more backing up all the way on top of Pavs and letting opposing players freely move the puck around the perimeter as though we are perpetually killing a penalty.
I can't wait to see how this offseason unfolds. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint!
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Stej