View Single Post
Old
04-26-2013, 10:03 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 500
I really like the way we handle this series: you write something down on a part of our confrontation, some back & forth rebuttal, and then move on to something else Let's keep it up that way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Now time to debate the defense

Pairing 1:

Tim Horton/Jan Suchy vs. Jack Stewart/Babe Siebert

Comments: One of my team strengths is my 1st pairings both Horton and Suchy are pretty good defenseman and will make for a good pairing. Horton's going to get a lot of assignments against the physical Nordiques players, a role that I'm sure he'll handle well. Jan Suchy will be our #1 offensive option on defense. The Nordiques first pairing offers Jack Stewart, a great hitter in his day and Babe Siebert, who will play the Tim Horton role on your team. Again it's a solid pairing that should play its role well.

Here's how I see it:

Horton>Siebert
Suchy>Stewart

Advantage: Blades
Not much to disagree on that. Tim Horton is a key of the Blades success, and a difficult defenceman to play against. He's paired up with Jan Suchy, a great offensive defenceman with decent defensive skills.

My only qualm is the ranking, it should read:

Horton > Stewart
Suchy =< Siebert

Suchy is a very talented defenceman, moreso than any of the Noirdiques defenceman, but he's got a very short prime, with a bunch of unimpressive season after his accident. Babe Siebert got a productive career as a LW, and a fantastic (just as good IMO) prime as a defenceman. It's close, but give me Babe Siebert. Horton is a better defenceman than Jack Stewart, no doubt about it.

Quote:
Pairing 2:

Craig Hartsburg/Red Horner vs. Frantisek Popisil-Leo Boivin

Comments: Hartsburg and Horner offers the classic offensive defensive battle. Still they're matched up here vs. a really good 2nd pairing. Hartsburg was such a good offensive defenseman and he could have been so much better had it not been for injuries. Going against Boivin won't help him much here but I expect the best for Hartsburg. Red Horner vs. Frantisek Popisil is a great battle between 2 hard hitting defensemen.

How I see it:

Hartsburg<Boivin
Horner<Popisil

Comments: A clear advantage here to the Nordiques, you guys have a really good 2nd pairing, good job.
Nothing I can disagree with this. Pospisil was a hard-hitting defenceman, but also someone that could pinch offensively. A very good package of a defenceman.

Quote:
3rd Pairing:

Steve Smith/Phil Russell vs. frantisek Tikal/Ron Greschner

Comments:

I've always been a fan of Ron Greschner, the guy is probably 1 of the better 3rd pairing offensive defensemen in this. 1 question though is what kind of defensive game does he play? Because he's matched up here vs. Steve Smith and while Greshcner might be Smith's better offensively Smith seems to be better than him in a lot of other ways. Tikal and Russell is a good battle of 2 physical defensemen.

How I see it:

Smith>Greschner
Russell<Tikal

Advantage: Goes to the Blades, it's close though.

Looking forward to a rebuttal here. I'll debate the goalies, coaching and special teams tomorrow.
Actually, Frantisek Tikal is our #5 defenceman, Ron Greschner #6. For me, Tikal is the best defenceman of the bunch, he brings a lot of great qualities on the table, an underrated European defenceman. At ES, I would also take Steve Smith over Ron Greschner. Greschner was a great PP player, but at ES he was decent, but nothing special. I will agree that Smith brings more to the table. We were flip-flopping to put Gilles Marotte into the lineup, since we don't even use Greschner on the PP ... maybe next round if we can go through this one

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote