View Single Post
Old
04-27-2013, 10:31 AM
sr228

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
Yes, he does have 1C potential but it's more likely that the Sharks will start him on the wing on the 2nd or 3rd line similar to Galchenyuk in MTL. It reduces the pressure on the kid to perform offensive and lessens his defensive responsibilities so he can adjust to the NHL level. Hertl could easily be a power forward winger but his elite defensive skills and playmaking abilities make him a coaches ideal centerman. I personnally would put him on Jumbo Joe's wing and let him learn what it takes to be an NHL playmaker for a couple of seasons. I think he could really light it up with Joe or even Couture. If Hertl gets the skating technique corrected just slightly for added acceleration and top end speed then he could be something special on the lines of Kopitar but different as you can never compare players. He might even replace Joe in time but time will tell if I am right or not as anything can happen to a prospects' career, injuries, poor development or management errors.

Just my opinion.
I think Hertl has the tools to be an ideal centerman as well and considering the way the Sharks bring their prospect along, I would be surprised to see him start his NHL career as the #3C on a sheltered line. Starting him at wing would make some sense especially if he skips the AHL and goes straight to the NHL, but I believe the org sees him as their future #1a/b center.

I also agree that he has all the tools to be a #1C however, only time will tell whether or not that happens and if/when it does how good he'll be.