Old
04-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I know he's versatile.
But if Plekanec ends up being the 3rd line center, that would mean one of three things.

+ Either he really regressed
+ Either two of Galchenyuk, Desharnais or Eller really improved on their actual play
+ A combination of the above.

Forget DD for a moment -- moot point, won't get a raise anytime soon.

If Gally and Eller pass Plekanec on the depth chart, they'll be asking for... good money. And if Plekanec's play drop, he'll have to accept a drop OR he'll be overpaid, depending on when the drop occurs.

Plekanec has many qualities. It's just that 5M for a 3rd center doesn't make sense in a 60-something M cap world.
Subban had passed every Defenseman on our team including Markov and yet was still signed to a 2.75M cap hit over 2years.
Gally and Eller will not break the bank in their next contract. They will get increases, but it won't be huge. Gally is already at 3.225M with all the bonuses for 2 more years, Eller likely won't get anything above that either after next season.
Plekanec is signed for another 3 years.

So, if in 2 years Gally and Eller are on a higher level than Plekanec, I don't see why we would keep Plekanec ahead. I also don't see why we would have to trade him. Keeping those three centers together would be a huge luxury.

If those two surpass Plekanec, than he certainly becomes a lot more movable and we might entertain some offers, see what return he could provide, but moving him won't be a necessity.