View Single Post
Old
04-27-2013, 07:16 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 811
I wish Joe the best and I feel sorry that it didn't work out for him here. It would've been very cool to have a great GM who was part of the team that won the Cup. But things rarely work out that neatly.

For all of his shortcomings he'll be remembered as a GM who finally put the appropriate amount of organizational emphasis on the draft and stopped the practice of squandering away our picks. I honestly believe that the Stars have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL and that will bear fruit for many years to come.

That said, he struggled mightily when it came to evaluation at the NHL level. The overall strategic vision for the makeup of the team was never clear and seemed to vacillate from season to season. That Ryder for Cole swap will go down as the moment when I knew he didn't have what it took.

Here's to learning more about Jim Nill. I really had no clue about him until that article from earlier today. He sounds like one of the best kept secrets in the league. He's neither a retread nor an inexperienced hire which is a very rare and exciting combination.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote