View Single Post
Old
04-27-2013, 08:59 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
How is one loss on the last game of the season going to cause Mason to lose his confidence and create a losing environment?
I'm confused. How do you expect the team to successfully tank? Wouldn't that require the message in the locker room to be "go out there and lose this game"?

Losing mentality.

It's one thing if you are the Penguins circa 2003 and have no core pieces moving forward. But I don't want that type of message to be uttered anywhere near players like Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier, and Steve Mason. These are guys who need to learn how to win games. Under no circumstances can losing be acceptable for young players who are still learning what it takes to be successful in this league.

As for Mason, he gets to go into his off season as the Flyers late season MVP. Games like these are huge for the confidence of young goaltenders. To end the season with a stellar performance like this will go a long way. I'm not saying a loss would have killed his confidence, but a win (in this fashion) will greatly increase his confidence level-- and goaltending is all about confidence.

I think all those things outweigh whatever potential difference between the 8th pick and the 12th (if any).

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote