View Single Post
Old
04-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Regardless of whether the team is still composed of players drafted by the team's scout, it still takes the GM to build a roster. The fact is that the team this year is very successful with a D largely composed by Gauthier with a similar vision (key term) to what Gauthier had intended for last year. Emelin-Gorges-Markov-Subban-Diaz were all part of Gauthier's vision for the D last season...they are now playing well as a unit this season largely due to Markov's return and largely due to the development of Diaz and Emelin.

Also the vision for the scoring depth isn't that different from last season as well. The three centres are still the same (Eller-Plekanec and Desharnais) the wingers changed a bit, but some have been carried over from Gauthier's vision of last year's team (which of course you'll say finished last and I really don't want to get into a debate of why that team finished last right now).

Sure the team is composed of Timmins' picks, but the vision of the current team isn't all that different from what Gauthier had intended last season.

But of course, this will get overlooked because Montreal fans are incapable of seeing things other than black and white. Gauthier = bad, therefore nothing he did could have been good.
I grew up a Habs fan in the late 90s/early 00s and my bar as a Habs fan is higher than praising a hypothetical vision of how the roster would look like in the future. Are you really suggesting his 'vision' took into consideration Gomez's injury/regression and Desharnais' rise in the depth charts? And the D made up of a Norris candidate Subban with waiver Kaberle?

I'm curious, what exactly would had to been done to be considered bad/poor GM? Is the bar so low that this would constitute letting Markov/Plekanec go as UFA, trading away all prospects/picks, and many other unreasonable things sane GMs wouldn't do on top of finishing low in standings?