View Single Post
Old
09-13-2006, 08:15 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Good point. If they are going by era, Butch should go first. If a guy like Savard gets his number in the rafters, Bouchard should too. What about Tom Johnson? Jacques Laperriere? Guy Lapointe?

I don't see why Serge should have his number retired, sorry.

And I'm not a big Dryden fan either. I saw him play, I'm not impressed enough to say he should have his number retired. If he played for the Penguins, nobody would even know his name today.

Roy is a bit of a stretch for me too, but he does have those performances in 86 and 93. Any other goalie and we don't win. But his regular season numbers are inflated by playing on defensive teams and then showing up in Colorado at the right time. He didn't show the same level of play in the regular season with a few exceptions.

But I blame management for what happened in 1996. After a series of ridiculous trades, they then started messing with Roy. Roy was the star of the team and they hire a coach (Tremblay) who made a living blasting Roy on the radio. No question Roy has got to go up in the rafters.

What makes it even more insulting to Robinson is that Serge Savard shafted him out of his retirement bonus when Serge was GM. This is the crux of the argument and of Robinson's estrangement from the organization. I think he now wants to be paid to have his number retired because he believes (rightly so if you know the details) that the team owes him money.
I disagree with you on Savard. Calling him a stay at home d man is really just a comparison to the guys he played with. He was the 3rd offensive d man on that team. He was better than most teams had at the time. He was so sound positionnally, and strong in his own end that his partner had probably the most freedom of any d man in the league. During the lockout, watching a lot of classic games, re-affirmed just how good Savard was. He was always a name on that team, but I think his play is vastly underrated. Robinson , no matter his personal feelings, would admit that in a second. Playing with somebody else would've changed his career.

Dryden ? He won, he won once with a team that wasn't favored once and 5 times with a team that was. I don't believe he can be diminished or dismissed because the team in front of him was so great. IMO, he ranks with Plante,Roy and the others. I think there is always a level of criticism for him, because he was never 'one of the boys'. He went his own way, and thought up stuff that players seldom do, and had other interests. He was never part of the team in the way a Lapointe was and I think the fans may have held him apart too, maybe not,but I've always suspected that.

Regarding #19's leaving the team . Robinson was being represented by his buddy and business partner Donny Cape. I'm sure you read the same acct. I did, the add on chapter of his book. The problem was contract length. Savard wanted to limit it to 1 or 2 years, then he'd be paid for a year after retirement as they did for long term players. Cape said that he wanted to play 3 years plus the bonus, as he had no intention of retiring. Savard went public and accused Robinson of negotiating a retirement bonus that was in effect a reward, not a right.

LA made the offer and Robinson kept playing, and came out ahead financially. He was hurt and insulted by Savard painting him that way in the papers. To my knowledge, Savard has never adressed this again, though Cape was in the room with Savard, not Robinson, and there are always 2 versions to a story.

I don't think he has ever made a demand to appear at a ceremony, that would be contrary to everything I've ever seen and read of the guy. The last commnet I heard was on the radio last summer, when he was saying that so much time has passed that it would mean less now. He would've loved for it to happen sooner while his Dada was alive as it's family who often get the most out of these things.
I believe one of his daughters wrote a few letters wondering why he was ignored, and I think that got the back up of theteam's promotion people, then the team finally decided how they would go about all the jersey ceremonies.

I could be off on the # of years above, but it was a case of #19 wanting to play one more year than #18 wanted him to.

I'd hope that after this ammount of time, the 2 guys, neither working for the CH could get past this. It's not like either didn't go on to all kinds of successs.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote