View Single Post
Old
04-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Preddownsouth

vCash: 500
Poile comments on Weber and the Offseason

David Poile quotes from Josh Cooper: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...-staff-changes

Quote:
Asked whether he would make any changes to the coaching staff, Poile said no.
Quote:
Asked whether he would explore the possibility of trading defenseman Shea Weber, Poile shot down some league-wide speculation that has been percolating the past few weeks.
Thats not going to happen, he said.
Quote:
Were in a position where we have some flexibility and are looking to those opportunities if they get presented. For whatever reason, last year and the start of this year, 90 percent of free agents of high quality have been signed by teams trying to protect their own assets. So this is not as strong a group in the free-agent market. Because of that you may see some more hockey trades.
Quote:
On how he will approach the offseason:
Its stabilizing, reaffirming who your core is, and building around (goaltender Pekka Rinne) and Shea, and adding to that nucleus with younger players like (defenseman Roman Josi) and (forward Filip Forsberg) and some of the other guys coming up. We have a strong foundation in leadership with (forwards Mike Fisher, David Legwand and Paul Gaustad), so when I say it that way, it all makes me feel like were pretty close.
Now having said that, we need to get more dynamic with our forwards. We need more scoring. Again, you look at the stats, were not even that far behind some of the teams, but it feels like we are. We want to be better there.
Quote:
On how to proceed with Weber (two summers ago, the Predators took him to arbitration. Last summer he signed an offer sheet with Philadelphia but Nashville matched):
Its something thats probably taken time, both on the ice, off the ice with media, all those situations. But I think that its like everything else, I think its time to move forward, and weve certainly been trying to move forward and are going to move forward.
Im sure Shea would say exactly the same thing. It has been a long year or two. Its time to move on.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote