View Single Post
Old
09-13-2006, 11:55 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
I didn't agree with adding Geoffrion, Moore and Cournoyer last year and I certainly don't agree with adding Savard and Dryden this year.

I concur with raketheleaves. The only players who are in the same class as the seven legends already there are Larry Robinson and Patrick Roy.

Admitting all these other players is just diluting an honor that should be reserved only to the greatest Habs players of all time. Having you number retired should be one big step higher than being in the HOF.
While I respect your opinion, and agree that maybe the honr can get diluted, strictly as a member of the CH, I can't say yes to Roy and no to Dryden. I understand the arguements and agree that Roy was 'the man' in his 2 wins. You can give Dryden 71 in the same way though. I just can't clearly take 1 over the other, purely as a Hab.

Savard's play was so intertwined with Robinson's that it's hard to elevate Larry over Savard. He was more than just his partner. On the other hand, how do you take him over Lapointe ?

So, I support the honor to both players, but I wonder how the decision gets made. Lapointe and Lemaire in particular from the 70's teams, could be discussed, but if I had to yea or nay, I'd say nay to both, though I'm not that sure why. For no other reason than you have to stop somewhere.

In those days, Lapointe was my favorite of the 3. Put him in our lineup today, we'd see something.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote