View Single Post
04-28-2013, 10:50 AM
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
The keyword for this season was "vindication".

Coming into this year, we heard the following:
- Jack Johnson and James Wisniewski were poor defensemen
- Sergei Bobrovsky couldn't be counted on to be a #1 goalie
- Anisimov, Dubinsky, and Erixon couldn't come close to replacing Rick Nash
- The youngsters (Atkinson, Calvert, Prout) wouldn't crack the roster of better teams
- The team had no heart, no skill, and no grit
- Todd Richards couldn't coach
- A full-scale rebuild was necessary
- I won't say it, but you know what I'm thinking
- There was no fan base, and no one outside of a handful cared about hockey in Columbus

In the span of three months, every single one of those was pretty decisively laid to rest. And not just here among us, but around the league. That's a hell of an achievement in a very short period of time.
Agreed 100%.

The key is for the players to not rest on their laurels and come ready to pick up where they left off next year.

Remember 2009-10? At training camp, the T-shirts the players had made up said 'On the rise' and everyone seemed to assume that the team would build on their brief playoff run. Instead there were rumors of players showing up out of shape (Commie, Mason, Jake), and the key leaders were missing that could have maybe helped to right the ship (Peca, Manny). The team spiraled into 3 years of the darkest period in this franchise's history.

I don't think the players on this team will fall prey to the mentality that afflicted the 2009-2010 team. But, they should learn from the brief history of this club and realize that nothing should be taken for granted.

Maybe missing the playoffs will end up being a blessing in disguise to keep this team hungry, as others here have suggested.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote