View Single Post
Old
04-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Regarding Nill... I know it's vogue to want everything connected to the Red Wings, but what are the amazing transactions the Wings have done recently (say the last ten years) to give him this Godly status?

Lucking out in the draft with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg (both where they got them in the draft and that these guys were humble enough to accept discounts) has a lot to do with their success. Take those away and I don't see what separates them from a handful of other inconsistently successful teams.

Just playing devil's advocate. I don't know how we all know Nill is better than MacTavish off hand.
What amazing transactions have the Red Wings done? How about get into the playoffs for 21 straight years.

Or how about getting the most out of veterans? Bert has been more than serviceable for them, and considering how he was broken down, that's pretty fantastic.

Or how about developing prospects. They will let a prospect develop until that prospect is truly ready for the big leagues. Look what they did with Ericsson and Kindl. Took their sweet time with them, and now they've got a nice pair of second pairing D-man(at worst). Post Nik Lidstrom, this season that team gave up the least number of ES GA in the entire league.

I know HF is very 'what have you done for me lately', and the fact that they haven't found another Datsyuk or Lidstrom or Z is outrageous, this franchise kept up a level of success for the past 2 decades that has rarely been seen in sports. Jim Nill has been a big part of that. Obviously we won't know what parts intimately, but to say they haven't done much since after drafting Dats, Z and Nik is a little absurd.

Again, I'll give MacT a chance. No reason not to, but passing on Nill who ticked a ton of boxes for us, is tough to swallow. I honestly didn't think he'd be open to move.