View Single Post
Old
04-28-2013, 12:39 PM
frag2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
What amazing transactions have the Red Wings done? How about get into the playoffs for 21 straight years.

Or how about getting the most out of veterans? Bert has been more than serviceable for them, and considering how he was broken down, that's pretty fantastic.

Or how about developing prospects. They will let a prospect develop until that prospect is truly ready for the big leagues. Look what they did with Ericsson and Kindl. Took their sweet time with them, and now they've got a nice pair of second pairing D-man(at worst). Post Nik Lidstrom, this season that team gave up the least number of ES GA in the entire league.

I know HF is very 'what have you done for me lately', and the fact that they haven't found another Datsyuk or Lidstrom or Z is outrageous, this franchise kept up a level of success for the past 2 decades that has rarely been seen in sports. Jim Nill has been a big part of that. Obviously we won't know what parts intimately, but to say they haven't done much since after drafting Dats, Z and Nik is a little absurd.

Again, I'll give MacT a chance. No reason not to, but passing on Nill who ticked a ton of boxes for us, is tough to swallow. I honestly didn't think he'd be open to move.
Keep in mind, you have to be winning to be able to nurture and develop said prospects. Winning usually keeps teams in status quo, meaning less roster movement and more development time for prospects. The fact that Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Yzerman carried this team for all these years isn't really a testament to the management but more to the players' talent. Granted the first 3, they lucked out drafting them.

And we haven't been winning haha

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote