View Single Post
Old
04-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Draft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
After going to the game in Winnipeg and then watching the Toronto game it seems like the #1 need at forward is a winger for Pleks. Desharnais looked better with Bourque and Pacioretty on his wings while the Eller line really looked solid.

Pleks is stuck with two one-dimensional players. Gionta works hard and I would still keep him for another year but he doesn't use his linemates very well. I had forgotten how one-dimensional Ryder is and when that dimension isn't working, he is brutal.

If I could get a guy like Viktor Stalberg, to play on the left side with Pleks I would be all over it. The guy is a great skater so that skill set figures into what the team is trying to do, he has great size at 6'3 and 210 pounds and he is probably good to chip in 15 - 20 goals.

Chicago will be in cap trouble and probably won't be able to offer Stalberg fair market value unless they make some other significant changes. Maybe when Bergevin traded for Ryder, knowing he was coming off contract, he had Stalberg in the back of his mind. After working in the the Chicago system he would know Stalberg's skill set and personality well.

On defense, the return of Emelin and the continued development of Tinordi changes the picture a lot. It finally gives us two physical defensemen. I would like to see Bergevin add one more, even if he was a #7 guy and a veteran. I think there would be quite a few guys to choose from in the free agent pool for that role. If the the team was going to carry eight defensemen like they did this year, I would re-sign Drewiske for that role.

Existing players who might be fighting for a role are Armstrong and Moen. Even though he is smaller than Armstrong, I think Dumont is more than capable of taking his spot. He is faster, more versatile, has more offensive talent and is just as physical. I think Moen is in a battle with White for a spot. White is younger, he can play center and comes at a lower price. I could see Moen headed to a place like Edmonton where they are looking for a veteran presence or Calgary where they could use some size.
I am all for bringing in Stalberg, I think most of us can agree he'd be a good addition to the team.

I'm not so sure if I agree with Tinordi being in the lineup for next year. He's been good but he's still pretty unsure with the puck and I think he'd really benefit from another year of split AHL/NHL duties. He's going to be a great player but I don't think his development would handle being played full time in the NHL very well.

I'd love to see Dumont in the lineup full time, I can see him playing as a 3rd liner in the future. As you said, he's got good offensive talent but plays quite physically. Unless Armstrong's presence in the room makes him to important to move, Dumont has his spot all but taken.

I think there's the possibility White isn't back with the team next year. He's played himself into some pretty bad situations this year, not sure if he's got a spot on the roster.

So, with my only objections being Tinordi and White, the roster you outlined would look something like this:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Bourque
Stalberg-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Dumont-Prust-White
(xMoenx)

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Bouillon
Diaz-Tinordi
Drewiskie
(Emelin, potentially out with injury)

Moen and White (RFA) in a package to Edmonton? Perhaps get another early 2nd/3rd?

Nystrom would be a player I'd target in Free Agency, potentially Ryan O'Byrne as well to keep from rushing Tinordi. At this stage in Tinordi's development, O'Byrne would bring a very similar impact. I don't know how popular the idea would be but Anthony Stewart is a UFA, 6'03 230lbs. He hits just about anything and is a very strong net presence, from La Salle Quebec.