View Single Post
Old
04-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
One thing that has been surprising is that we have room to sign 4-5 NCAA and CHL FA's and have not signed any yet. A guy like Fournier of Halifax would be a good fit, maybe an NCAA FA goalie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I thought they would add a FA or two but I know in the NCAA it wasn't all that good of a FA class. Hopefully they find some good FA's to invite to the development camp. Perhaps they ink Alex Belzile to an NHL contract as he seemed to play well enough.
I would be very hesitant before handing out NHL contracts to undrafted players from the NCAA or the CHL. If you look at who the Habs have signed in the past few years, only B.Nash and Mayer turned our to be decent AHL players. The rest (Bishop, Massé, Lefebvre and Delmas) were/are barely ECHL quality. Those signings ended up being a waste of contract space at a time where we were very close to the contract limit.

I would like to see Stefan Fournier, Alex Belizle and Stephen MacAulay in either Hamilton or Wheeling next season, but I don't think they deserve anything more than a AHL contract. If they play well, they could earn a NHL contract in a few months/years (it worked out in the past with Desharnais and St-Denis).