View Single Post
Old
04-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcruz View Post
While I agree with Mess and ULF_55 in the fact that the article isn't saying that Colborne is going to be, projected to be, or even trying to be like Staal or Lecavalier, I still find the fact that the article mentions the fashioning of Colborne's game after Staal to be irresponsible journalism.

The aspects of the game that Colborne is said to try and emulate based off of Vinny and Jordan, are the same aspects that other players do just as well if not better. Steckel is a perfect example of what we can say Colborne should be fashioning his game after.

Steckel is a big centre, with some offensive up side, great on the drops, and has really made a name for himself as a #3 or #4 centre in the NHL.

It's difficult to say that player X is fashioning his game around player Y when player Y is viewed in many ways that player X will never be viewed.

The issue is that it's sexy to use a name like Staal when writing a column to sell a paper, but it's not sexy to use a name like Steckel. Even if the Steckel analogy is much more accurate - accuracy doesn't sell as well.

That's irresponsible journalism.
Except for the fact the writer used direct quotes with Colborne referencing Jordan Staal.

Quote:
Joe Colborne, the lanky 23-year-old from Calgary, said he would like to fashion his game after fellow centre Jordan Staal, who had six very productive years with the Pittsburgh Penguins as a defensive forward and now plays alongside his brother Eric with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Hes good on face-offs Hes a guy I look at. Another guy is Vinny (Lecavalier), who we played against the other night (a 5-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Wednesday). You just pick up little things from those guys. But if I could play a role like Jordan Staal was earlier in his career, Id be a good help to this team.