View Single Post
Old
04-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
If you think Red Berenson was the 3rd and 4th most valuable player in the NHL those years, I'm not sure what to say. The second and third highest scorers in the West division in 68-69 were Ted Hampson and Danny Grant, AAA players. In 69-70, Berenson was outscored by a 38 year old Phil Goyette, and JP Parise. Next behind Berenson from that division were Tommy Williams and Bill Goldsworthy, who were 5 and 7 points behind Berenson. To say that the NHL talent was ridiculously concentrated in the East division would be an understatement. I slammed Red Berenson because he has one season at left wing where he ever did anything close to relevant offensively. And that season was 67-68, where he started with the Rangers before being traded to the Blues to play against the weaker competition. In the east division for the Rangers, he put up 3 points in 19 games(.16PPG). Then, he was traded to the Blues and put up 51 points in 55 games(.93PPG). He wasn't a regular player in the O6, and then all of a sudden he's one of the most valuable players in the league? It doesn't add up at all. I don't buy his offense. I'll buy he's a good skater and a checker. So is Dave Trottier. And his offense is better.
How is his offense better if you're not discounting seasons Berenson was at center?

His breakout was startling, but his former manager wasn't surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Illustrated - 3/25/1968
"I remember a plane trip I made with Emile last spring," says Bowman. "He said that someday, somewhere, Berenson was going to make somebody a helluva hockey player. He said he only wished it could be in New York." It has happened instead in St. Louis, to the surprise of neither Bowman, Francis nor Berenson himself—although few others in hockey expected any such miracle.

Without Berenson, says Bowman, the Blues would merely be playing out the season for experience.
Berenson led his club in scoring twice and 6 times in the top 3. He put up points against 06 Clubs too, here's what I found using HSP.
1968: 16 GP, 5G, 9A, 14 PTS
1969: 36 GP, 14 G, 13 A, 27 PTS
1970: 36 GP, 13 G, 11 A, 24 PTS

You can argue his Hart is inflated by the division split, but he was still a bigger star in those seasons than anyone outside of Ratelle on our third lines.

Quote:
I didn't let it fly for Richards, I said "I don't expect his offense to fully translate to the wing, but I still think it will be better than Walter's." I should have made a more severe mark on that, his offense will take a significant hit playing on the wing compared to center. Fair?
But what makes it better than Walter's? I agree he is, but if we're sticking to your methodology that you can only count what he did at the position, then Richards has no offense outside of 5 points in the Olympics, less than Berenson and Walter.

Quote:
Are you planning on doing any line matching at all? Just curious.
I don't think I'll be hardmatching. Probably just play lines based on the situation. Beliveau and Walter are my best faceoff men so I see them being trusted with defensive zone draws when possible. I don't know anything about Colville on faceoffs, but his line is solid defensively so they could be used as well. I'll probably try to keep Morris's line starting in the offensive or neutral zones.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote