View Single Post
Old
04-28-2013, 04:33 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
SERIES DISCUSSION: 1st round, Anaheim Ducks

Time to open this one up.

Probably the best opponent that the Wings could realistically get.

Anaheim seemed to slow down a little at the end of the regular season, going 5-4-1.

They are still a good team, had 22+ goal differential, second best in west. 8th in GF, 11th in GA. 5th best team in the league in 5-on-5 hockey. 4th best PP, 13th on PK.

There has been much talk about their fenwick/shot differential; it's not good. They get outshot, usually not indicator of good team. But imo by eye-test, they are good team. I'm no expert with Ducks, but I like they way they play. When I saw them, they were mostly very relentless. Just kept coming at you, checked hard, played very physical.

Ducks have good depth, 15 players scored 10 or more points; 10 with Wings.

They have good balance of vets (The Finns, Souray), prime aged players (Perry, Ryan, Beauch, Getz) and kids (Fowler, Etem, Palmieri).

Their lineup is probably something like (from Ducks board)

Quote:
Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Maroon - Bonino - Selanne
Winnik - Koivu - Cogs
Beleskey - Steckel - Palmieri

Souray - Beauch
Lydman - Fowler
Allen - Vatanen

With Hiller on net
With the possibility that Palmieri is on the second line. And Sbisa on D.

3rd line seems to be more of a shutdown line, getting most starts in d-zone. Steckel gets a lot too, bc of his face-off ability.

Perry and Getz don't get 'Sedin treatment' in a sense that they play against the toughest competition and start slightly more at D-zone. They are def. the big guns, scoring a lot, but also getting scored on a fair amount; but they still outscore the opposition by around goal per 60min.

On D, Beaucheamin-Souray is the clear top pairing. And they played well against tough competition. Both were +19. All pairings play a lot in a sense that Beauch got the most ice time with avg of 23:27, the least got Lovejoy at 17:49 or Vatanen at 15:49.

Ducks don't draw a lot of penalties; 5th last in the league at home, 3rd last on the road. Wings drew 2nd most and 4th most respectively.

But Ducks take the 13th most penalties at home, and 15th on road. Wings at 8th and 18th respectively.

Hiller vs. Howard is pretty fair battle. Howard had better numbers but I still think they are pretty close. Hiller's start wasn't that great either.

And finally.. let's go Wins