View Single Post
Old
04-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Recoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Greene and Bostic project as 3-4 LBs as does Washington... Shea is a 3-4 guy and we lack DT depth on our roster.

Peppers will be cut in 1 year, Melton is just tagged and our CBs are all Free Agents after this upcoming season.

Getting the personel will be easy.
What? No. No they don't at all.

Greene projects as a 4-3 Weak Side Linebacker --- Lance Brigg's heir apparent. He's not a QB rusher by any stretch, and is great in coverage.

Bostic projects as a MIKE, and also has solid coverage skills in zone and reading a QB --- which is what a 4-3 MIKE does.

Washington, well, he played everything in Georgia because they couldn't figure out what to do with him. He played OLB in the 3-4, DE in a 4-front and even some DT. Classic case of a team mis-using / under-utilizing a player with a ton of talent. He played his BEST with his hand on the dirt though. He looks to be a prototypical 4-3 DE, and if he develops, that is what he will be here.

I'll give you Shea. He's the one question mark of Emery's tenure I still don't entirely get, and could certainly be OLB in a 3-4. But the rest of the people we have are all not only candidates for a 4-3 defense, but the same schemes we tend to run.

We also don't have a 3-4 Nose Tackle on our roster at all. I also don't think we "lack" DT depth. We have Melton, Paea who are both solid and Nate Collins was a good rotational backup. We have 3 DTs. Our rookie Washington may be a rotational DT/DE if needed, but there's still a chance we sign someone like Izzy before the start of training camp. I don't think we have to, if Washington can develop and cover the DE/DT role, but we certainly don't "lack" depth at DT. I'm not sure where Bears fans got this idea on draft day. I think our DTs are both very solid.

And in regards to our two LBs we drafted, here was a good write-up as to why we took Bostic over Arthur Brown, and why he is a better fit for our 4-3 scheme:

Quote:
Brown is a great fit on a team that covers up the opponent’s line (like Baltimore) and uses the 46/Ryan defense – ie LBers drop to a short zone and then pick up any crossing reciever and carry them in a trail technique – (like Baltimore). If Brown was asked to drop and defend the deep third or have a gap assigned as his (and only his) responsibility then he would be a poor fit.

Bostic is better with his eyes on the QB and reading routes as he drops (like the Bears do). He also comes up to the line with more of a pop than Brown which is important in the Bears’ scheme, all the front seven are supposed to attack downhill onto the ball, not go sideways.

So for my mind both teams got the players best suited to their schemes; it is almost as though the players were drafted by proffessional personnel people.