Old
04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I wanted Vokoun and hated Bryz's contract from the start, but I did not expect him to be this bad and I did not expect Bobs to be this good. I just expected Vokoun to be the better of the three.
I don't think anyone was really happy with the contract. I thoguht Bryz would be better than Vokoun. Bob I wasn't really sold on. At the time he had one good season and a terrible playoffs. It really made sense to go after a long-term solution in Bryzgalov. Sticking with Bob and getting a Vokoun for two years wasn't a long term solution. It was a possibility of a long-term solution, but also could have left us in a a situation where we still had no goalie moving forward. Bryzgalov at least looked like a safe bet. Yes it was an overpayment, but to secure something the Flyers haven't had since Hextall, the overpayment seemed worth it. No one thought Bryz would be this bad. This was a move that backfired on the Flyers, but at the time, it really was the safest choice.

You have three choices:

1) Go with a young kid who put up good numbers in his first regular season, followed up by an atrocious playoffs.

2) Go with a stop-gap for a year or two in hopes that the young kid rebounds

3) Go with the top UFA goalie and former Vezina Trophy finalist

People may have different preferences, but I think that all other things being equal, the safe choice there was the top UFA goalie. All three chocies have their risks. 1) you risk having a kid with very little experience take over as the #1 goalie. He may be fine, but he may look like he did in the playoffs. 2) you get a veteran that is nearing the end of his career who should be able to hold down the fort for a year or two (if, and that's a big if, if he signs with you). After that you have to either start the goalie-finding process all over again, or go with the young kid if he is capable of taking over. 3) you sure up the goalie position for the foreseeable future. The only thing you risk really is overpaying. I know that he imploded, but that isn't really a risk you factor in at the time because the guy was coming off back to back + .920 save percentage years and a Vezina nomination. Sure it is possible that any player will implode, but when signing a UFA of that caliber that is not really somethign you factor in. Maybe it should be, but I don't think it really happens with guys of that caliber (see all the huge UFA contracts that were given out over the past few years to high caliber guys). This wasn't like signing Ville Leino to a huge a deal. This was signing an established goalie. It backfired. I wish they hadn't done it. But I think looking back, the same thing happens again and again.