View Single Post
Old
04-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Totally Radivojevic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Trying to steer this back onto the topic of overhauls and away from another pure goaltending discussion;

You certainly bring up a Gordian Knot for the team. Or Goalian Knot, if you're into bad history/hockey puns. Based on what Bryz has shown, he's not the guy. His cap hit is not ideal for his performance, assuming he carries his last 2 years into a 3rd season. Having a Huet around in a possible 1a/1b situation hamstrings the team's ability to build depth in a year when the cap is dropping.

On the other hand, what's the alternative? We can't trust Mason yet. Do we risk Thomas after a Bryz buyout? If that fails and Mason reverts, the team is boned. On the other hand, the team is in a poopy situation if they have 2-3 million in dead space tied to Bryz while Bryz struggles.

There isn't a clear solution, and both have risks. I doubted Thomas' ability to come back from hip injuries when he was in his mid/late 30s, and he proved me wrong. I don't know if he'll disprove my doubts at 39 after taking a year off, but it's not impossible. It's also not impossible that Bryz plays well next year, but he might also be an anchor again. While it might be good to wait until next year to amnesty Bryz, for the sake of waiting for more options to arise, we might/will feel foolish if Thomas could be had and he plays well.

What other reliable goalies will be available for minimal price? I'd prefer FA. We already spent a pick on Mason, I'd rather not spend another pick to get him reliable support if Bryz is bought out earlier than expected.

Edit: Hm. Looks like I steered it back to goaltending. Modfail.
Go the Euro route. I'd like a Mason/Raanta tandem.