View Single Post
Old
04-29-2013, 06:37 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
There has been some negative response, but it's been completely drowned out by positive response. I'm happy for him, and the LGBT community. This should be a big step. I think to casual/non sports fans, they don't realize how ignorant or disrespectful (or downright stupid) some athletes can be, and how hard it can be to succeed under that type of microscope.

In our sport, on ice interaction would concern me if/when a player comes out, though I'm sure whoever it is gets called the *other* f-word all the time, just unfortunately seems to be a go-to insult during heated competition. I can't help but always think back to the 2009-2010 playoffs between Calgary and Chicago, when the young Chicago players were supposedly berated Jarome Iginla with racial slurs...with Dustin Byfuglien sitting right next to them on their bench. Yet, off the ice, hockey players seem to have incredible respect for one another.

Even if he rides the bench all of next season, I'd be shocked if every team in the NBA didn't line up to sign Collins in the offseason just so they get that positive reaction and publicity.