View Single Post
Old
04-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Thanks for the lifeline.

To my original thought path, taking that series as an example, Thomas was under siege in overtime game 7, he stopped several pucks, some deflected. One deflected shot later and we lost. Without "blaming" Price, can we say that Thomas rose to that occasion. Undoubtedly.

Fast forward to 2013 is it not too much to expect that Price is now the guy who provides that performance when needed. He has the experience of someone beyond his years, he has the salary/respect, the confidence of the organization, nobody challenging his job. Can I now expect Excellence? I think it's reasonable to ask this now.
Yeah, it's totally reasonable to expect excellence of our goalie. Just as long as we're reasonable about our definition of excellence. Price ain't gonna stop everything, some pucks are going to go past him, just as they did Thomas, Quick, and everyone else. The kind of excellence I want is what I saw from Price the first half of this season. Shots were fired through traffic that he somehow tracked; players were set up for a perfect shot that he somehow positioned himself to block. Lots of shots we would've forgiven as 'no chance' didn't go in because Price had his pads, body and glove in the right place at the right moment. Price doesn't make many lunging, flailing desperate highlight reel saves because he's usually already there, exactly where the puck's going. That's excellence. If that guy from January through March shows up, we win almost any series.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote