View Single Post
Old
04-30-2013, 12:48 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I've been pointing out his missed assignments all season. There is a reason DB, a man loath to bench vets, finally scratched him and even benched him in a game. You really have to play like complete **** as a vet before DB will bench you.
I agree with everything you said in the rest of your post and your views of TK in general, but I wouldn't read anything into the above, about TK being scratched (unless there is some quote about DB not being happy with his play or something that I missed). I think that move the other night was simply to give TK a night off, but more importantly to give Beau Bennett and some of the other guys who haven't been playing as regularly (Engelland, for example) a chance to get into the line-up so they would be as fresh as possible, because these guys are very likely to be in the opening line-up; or at least be ready as the probable first guys to get in, in their respective positions, if they aren't in the first game.

But I, too, cannot figure out for the life of me why -- in a contract year, no less -- TK has gone from being a pretty steady performer and actually a spark plug for the team in the past, to a guy who has been sub-par, and at times piss poor, all season. I gave him the benefit of the doubt a little bit at the beginning of the season, attributing his poor play to the rust of not playing elsewhere in the lockout. But that excuse vanished after the first 10-12 games when he should have been back in full game shape. Perhaps it's because he sees the writing on the wall and knows, contractually, that he doesn't fit on this team going forward, or perhaps it's something else...

But whatever the reason, TK has not been great, and certainly has not been better than Beau Bennett, or even Joe Vitale most of the time. I do think he will have a very short leash if he is in the starting 12 and I do think he has the ability (because he has shown it in the past and does have playoff/Cup experience on his side) to raise his game to another level. But he better do just that, or he'll find himself in the pressbox. And that won't be great for us when we're trading him at the draft, because a productive TK who plays every playoff game vs. one who sits out will probably be the difference of whether we get a 2nd round pick or a 5th round pick for his rights. Other than that issue, there's no question that Beau Bennett is the better player right now. let's see how each of these guys handles their opportunity in the playoffs when the stakes get higher, however.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote