View Single Post
Old
04-30-2013, 05:14 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
One thing about Monahan is that he's just deadly on faceoffs too. It's an aspect of his game that doesn't get a lot of publicity, but he's going to be a player at the next level that does all those small things really well.

I don't see Eric Staal in this guy at all. I really don't see it. Staal was lanky, lumbering, and used his reach a lot in junior to dominate games and to a degree he's still like that. Monahan is more compact in his game, softer hands in traffic, and is just... remarkably fundamental. Staal's junior game, in the sense of being a complete player, isn't going to touch Monahan's game. Staal was just so remarkably talented that he abused junior defenders and it took him until effectively his 21 year old season to really catch up to that style in the NHL. Monahan is ready immediately. There is nothing to fix in his game and he would be perfectly adequate starting on your 3rd line and working his way up from there. He's a fantastic skater and his hockey IQ might be up there with anybody in the draft in terms of maximizing his talent level. If you watch him with any degree of focus, you see some things that he does that are just.... beyond his years. I was watching a shift where he was on a 2 on 1 break out, he made his choice to pass early but sold the shot with his body position, passed it over to his teammate that had an empty cage (he later scored), but the most impressive thing to me was that after making that pass, Monahan turned his body and without moving his stick off the ice turned himself in position for a pass should it come back to him. There aren't many players that wouldn't have picked their stick up, admired their pass and watched their teammate get a slam dunk on an empty net. Monahan played the full play. I think you'll see that from him more often than not. He just does things that make you go, well damn that was really smart to be there.

I am not entirely convinced that he couldn't pop his head into the Top 4 picks. Especially with a guy like Yzerman on the clock at 3rd knowing that his team really needs a defensive conscience. Nashville is also known to value the two way game with Trotz. I wouldn't consider it out of the realm of reasonable to think that with interviews, the combine, and other factors that Monahan might not be available when we pick once the scouts really start to pick these guys apart. He's going to be a special player.
As someone who's only watched highlights and read a bit of scouting reports on him, would you say Monahan compares favorably to Bergeron? I've read Toews elsewhere also, maybe that's a closer fit?