Old
04-30-2013, 09:09 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
i think most people would agree that Gervais is a fine #7 it just seems that most people disagree with you on Gus. I see Gus as i see Carle (just not as good) which is a complimentary guy that is capable of logging 20 minutes a night with the right partner. If you pair him with grossmann, coburn or kimmo he'll be just fine imo playing quality minutes. the same can't be said for Gervais.

so i wouldn't go as far as saying that Gus is a top 4 but he's certainly capable of playing top 4 minutes with the right partner and in the future if he continues to improve (you can't say that he hasn't from this last yr to this yr) then who knows maybe he'll actually become a top 4 guy.

and i don't know where this he didn't even look good in the AHL stuff is coming from. when he was down there he was easily the team's best overall d-man. the only point at which he struggled was the first few game after returning from injury
And that's fine. I think he could play top four minutes regularly sometime in the future and be able to hang. I don't see him excelling in that role, though it is certainly possible. You stick him as #4 (right now) and he will be a below average to average #4 defender. Put him on the bottom pair with whomever is back next season and I have no problem with it. Gervais can ride the pine and fill in as needed. Gus can take top four minutes from time to time when people get hurt and it wouldn't be a terrible situation. Essentially, I think Gus tops out in a best case scenario as an average #4 defender. I think in reality he would be a solid bottom pairing guy who can fill in from time to time on the second pair. If you see anything more than that in him I think you are dreaming.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote