View Single Post
Old
04-30-2013, 01:59 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
That leads me to ask. Khabibulin did jail time in the summer like 3 years ago. Pavelec got caught drunk droving. Those guys have a criminal record for sure. There must be a way to pass around that because it's their job to go in the U.S.

Anyone could clarify that?
From what I understand:
The border CAN reject anyone they want. But they look at two types of crimes: Crimes of passion, and Crimes of moral turpitude. To my understanding, the former is an "in the moment thing" where it holds no bearing on the person's actual character (so if you get charged for simple assault, or drunk driving, you can argue that it was a heat-of-the-moment action and you're actually a really good person in general).
Crimes of moral turpitude which WILL get you turned away from the border are things like armed robbery, sexual assault, premeditated murder, things that really prove that you're a rotten person who had full intentions to commit a crime, then committed said crime.

In the case of Beaulieu, if it's just an afternoon father-son brawl, it could've been a heated argument that escalated, or something where a fight broke out and one side charges the other. This type of stuff happens all the time, and he'd have no problem crossing the border.

THAT BEING SAID, the border is very lenient on offering special treatment to people who can bring in considerable money to the US/Canada. For example, when Snoop Dogg plays festivals in Canada, they give him a temporary pass to pay his shows and get out. He has a criminal record, but they know that wherever he goes, the city/venue/etc. are going to make seven digits a night. On the other hand, countless small bands who are trying to "make it" touring in vans, playing to a couple hundred people always get turned back for trivial reasons, because in the grand scheme of things, they bring very little to the country they're visiting. For Beaulieu, he's a part of the Canadiens, a team that's going to go to a city, play in front of tens of thousands of paying spectators. He's definitely bringing in money to wherever he's playing, so I can't imagine any issues.

Now if this case is serious and he is given jail time which would surprise me a lot, then the team would probably release him, but I'm really not sure on that one.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote