View Single Post
Old
04-30-2013, 02:08 PM
ThirdManIn
Aspiring Sinecure

vCash: 500
Awards:
With regards to mediocrity, it can only be defined in context. I don't have the time (or desire really) to sit around and do the leg work here, but based on this article we would be among the most successful NHL franchises. In fact, have more playoff appearances and winning seasons than their number five pick (Anaheim) over the same period of time, though without the Cup win. It can also be argued that, again, minus the Cup win, the Predators have been more consistently successful over that same period of time than the Blackhawks.

Mediocre is a term I would use with the Predators when only looking at postseason play, but it isn't certainly not how I would define their play as a whole over the time frame given in the OP.

Keep in mind that both Chicago and Pittsburgh were able to land some big time players (Crosby, Malkin, MAF, Kane, Toews, etc) by being absolutely terrible during a time when the Preds were actually scratching and clawing to only end up on the outside looking in, giving them mid-round picks.

If what the Predators have done since the last lockout is mediocre, there are a hell of a lot of absolutely abysmal teams in the league. In fact, a disproportionate amount of abysmal teams.

I'm with Trigg. The Predators on going in the right direction, this season notwithstanding, and after the Summer of '07 that is a fantastic thing.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote