View Single Post
Old
04-30-2013, 03:39 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
There is no debate. There is no fan hand book. People can choose to support a team any way they wish. While I personally have no interest in cheering for a team in the Atlantic I have no problem with those who do. It's just a sport. Not really comparable to a guy who has stolen your girlfriend.
There is a lot of debate about what it means to be a fan.

Why should there have to be a fan handbook in order to determine such things? I think with "small morals" like fandom-- we are pretty decent at hammering out such things.

Not sure about the girlfriend analogy, or anything DFF has ever uttered, really.

It stands to reason that some fanwagoning stands countercurrent to what we want to say about fandom without banishing it to the realm of absolute relativity.

Case in point, I have a friend who, upon moving to Pittsburgh, became a Penguins fan-- especially after they won the cup. Then, he moved to LA and became a Kings fan after they won their cup. Now he's a King's and Penguins fan.

His ties to those cities: Less than a year job. He's been in LA for awhile now. He won't stop saying "Philly West" in order to pal around with me when we talk hockey.

That is some weasel nonsense right there.

I've been a Flyer's fan for HOW LONG NOW? Something is wrong with his fandom -- and he's celebrated two cups. TWO. In different cities! Been to TWO parades.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote