View Single Post
Old
04-30-2013, 05:57 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
Yeah, that was the moment when the mental domination started. The regular season was fairly thrilling last year between the two teams. There was the 5-0 Halak meltdown blowout early in the season under Payne, one of the final nails in his coaching coffin, but the rest of the season was intense. 0-0 game that went to shootout right before the playoffs. The Blues came out strong in Game 1 but folded badly after one of the cheaper shots in recent playoff memory. They came out in Game 2 totally flat and everyone sucked. This is the period the less astute posters on this board attribute to Elliott, but it was a total team collapse. Guys were just walking in unabated over and over. They were down 2-0 and going on the road.

I do think the struggles during this year made them understand the fine line of desperation they need to play with, but the reason I'm still pessimistic until they prove it is that LA is specifically made for the playoffs. LA's playoff A game is one of the best postseason A games I can ever remember seeing. Even when they lost to the Wings near the end of the season they looked dangerous and menacing to me. They are an intimidating team when they get going. The Blues have shown an ability to rebound from momentum swings within a week or so, but in the playoffs they have to be mentally strong enough to rebound the next shift from adversity. To be brutally honest, there's literally no shred of belief I have in this team to rebound immediately. Over the past 5-6 years, 100% of the time it takes them awhile to bounce back from adversity. Like, a couple games or so. They turn around momentum like a battleship turning. They will turn it around, but in the playoffs it has to be immediate. LA knows how to do this and I don't believe in the individual players on the Blues to do this, because they always don't.

Here's hoping I'm very, very wrong.