View Single Post
Old
09-15-2006, 01:55 PM
technophile

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to technophile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Go back to post #21 where I give the time in the video. Again, it's at about 5:20. That's where the ruling is discussed. You will also see that the wording in that post came from the video, not me.
Okay, the text does say "The following are allowed", followed by a bullet point that says "Lifting an opponent's stick"--which the voiceover clarifies to include "to gain possession of the puck, or prevent the opponent from playing the puck".

So--at least according to this video--lifting the stick is allowed, when the opponent has possession, or is about to gain possession. You still can't lift the stick away from the play, though, which used to be a fairly common play right in front of the net (well before any shots or passes).

That could be reconciled with the enforcement brochure saying "The use of the stick will be limited to only playing the puck", although honestly you could enforce that either way; it's not very clearly written, and it doesn't expand much on what I originally thought was legal (when they have possession).

So in general, lifting the stick is illegal; it's only when the opponent has the puck, or is about to play it, that it becomes legal. Still some gray area there for individual ref interpretation, but that's normal.

technophile is offline   Reply With Quote