View Single Post
Old
05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Chrispy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
There are three things that REALLY screwed this organization. Their names are Dalpe, Boychuk, and McBain. Are they JRs failings? Everyone and their mother thought Boychuk would at least be a second line winger and Dalpe projected that way as well. McBain is the big one because at worst most figured he'd be a solid top 4 puck mover abd PP contributir based on his college and AHL time plus the end of the year run he put up. You could blame JR for not having a back up plan, that's for surebut those three are high round draft picks that were considered smart choices at the time. When you swing and miss from the 3rd round on 99 times out of 100, you can't afford to miss on 1st and high 2nds.
What's interesting to me is that the consensus was that JR picked Boychuk over Dalpe at 14, then Dalpe fell to the Canes at 45. So is it a success to get Dalpe at 45, or is it an indictment of JR's projection of talent that someone he considered at 14 fell to 45 and hasn't developed as hoped yet?

But as I look at the 2nd round of the 2008 draft, I don't see a lot of players significantly ahead of Dalpe. I see some potential that's been flashed at the NHL level, and I see 3-4 reliable NHLers right now but not enough to make me think it's a complete failure that pick #45 hasn't translated to the NHL yet.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote