Thread: Proposal: Flames 2013 offseason plan.
View Single Post
Old
05-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Wait, what? The moves Feaster made put the Flames 6th last in the league. I don't know how on earth you could consider that as 'making the rights moves' towards the playoffs.
Whether or not the goals layed out to Feaster were realistic is debatable. He was given the job of making the playoffs, and he made moves which gave the club a better chance at that. It strikes me that at the beginning of the season, the roster on paper seemed as good as, say, Ottawa minus Karlsson and Spezza, who are a playoff team. We can't say at the beginning of the season who will be a playoff team and who won't, but I at least thought that the roster had the chance if they played well. The ends don't always invalidate the means, in my opinion.

But digressing from that point, Feaster did not put enough impact players in the roster to make it into the playoffs. Likely, he could have done. He could have sold our assets and future draft picks to bring in high-talent players and made our roster extremely good in the short term. And we would have cried for his head even if we did manage to make the playoffs.

That is why I would say he made the right moves. Every step of the way he has made moves to try to improve our club in the short term without ever really hurting it in the long term. I would only say he'd failed if he'd invested some stake in our present success, going all-in the way Pittsburgh have. Otherwise, one could ignore his stated goals to the media and look at the fact that he's been trying to make the playoffs while improving our outlook for the future, rather than sacrificing one for the other.

Quote:
Whether the Flames have improved their development process has yet to be seen. Similar situation with the drafting; it appears much better on paper, but until some of those picks actually play in the NHL, it's still too early to say with certainty. And the biggest reason for the perceived improvement in drafted comes from the fact that Feaster recognized his own failings when it comes to that area, and thus relegated those tasks to his subordinates, namely Weisbrod and Goulet.
Maybe if other general managers had had this sort of awareness and gumption, the organization would have fared better.

Quote:
Sure, if you discount anything and everything he said before the most recent trade deadline.
Again, I guess our disagreement is on whether the Flames not making the playoffs means that Feaster's roster was never capable of making the playoffs. I mean, by this logic, Darryl Sutter's '04 roster was the best put together of the entire Western Conference. I don't know if that's true. Things have to come together for a team to have success at a coaching and individual player level. If things came together for the Flames this year, maybe things would have been different.