View Single Post
Old
05-01-2013, 02:35 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersgal View Post
The problem is, the organization isn't very good at drafting/developing defensemen. We are strong in our forward scouting/drafting however. Until we get better defensive scouts (I could see Pronger helping here, maybe even Kimmo after he retires), and the proper personnel in Adirondack to develop young defensemen, I have no problem with us filling our defensive holes via free agency and drafting around our strengths. In order to get a young, stud d-man via trade, we'd have to give up young assets, but the Flyers organization has proven time and again that they can strengthen our forward depth via draft, regardless of where we pick. I mean, at draft day last year, everyone was like who the hell is Scott Laughton? Now, he's tearing up the OHL and was competing for a roster spot this year.
This has been mythbusted over and over again...

What reason do you have to believe that this organization can't or doesn't have the ability to develop a defenseman, when we seldom take them in the first round? I think the bigger issue is the teams lack of talent in on the defensive side of the puck in the prospect pool rather than an inability to draft them.

Seriously, I don't understand how our inability to turn defenseman drafted in the 3rd and 4th round into top 4 nhl defenseman alludes to an inability to develop a defenseman. You can't groom what you don't have.

In all likelihood, and I'm not saying that I condone it, but if this team drafts a guy like Darnell Nurse, there's probably about a 90% chance that he's on the opening night roster.