Thread: Speculation: Who should we draft?
View Single Post
05-01-2013, 02:43 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Why are people still stuck on this? And yes, Ronning would have lead this team in scoring easily.

First off, plenty of people put up good numbers in juniors and it doesn't translate to the NHL. When Legwand went back to juniors after being drafted, he was THIRD on his team in the scoring (behind two players that didn't make the NHL). That was one of the first telling signs that he wasn't going to come tear up the NHL with his offensive ability.

Once he got the NHL, he showed some signs of offensive ability, but missing were any indication that he had something special offensively. If you compare to Radulov-- anyone could see that guy had an "it" factor in the offensive zone that just needed time to blossom (though 26g in your 1st yr is nothing to scoff at). Legwand never had the "it" factor, and it's nobody's fault. He was overvalued as a prospect by many (thought not by some-- like the Sharks). However, it's not like there were a bunch of great prospects chosen after him. It was a bad draft year, especially the top 10. TB really won it with Lecavailier (a given at #1) and Richards (3rd rd)... two pieces that eventually helped them win the Cup.

A little known tidbit-- TB beat us out on signing Martin St Louis. How much of a franchise changer would THAT have been for us?

Barkovs numbers as a 17 yr old are very very impressive vs men (and even NHL players). I don't want to get caught up in draft hype and reading scouting reports, but if he's our guy, I hope if gives us that offensive "it" factor that we've been devoid of.
Look at Tootoo - he put up 74 pts in 51 games in the WHL before joining the Preds.
There is a link floating around here comparing Barkov's year to the Sedins that I think offers some decent comparables.