View Single Post
05-01-2013, 07:08 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
IIRC, Andy Mac hasn't been playing center. Backes, Berglund and Sobokta would be their top-3 C's, with only Berglund having a face-off percentage less than 52%. Even if Andy Mac leaves, Tarasenko is a healthy scratch right now - as is Jaskin - both of which could easily be on the team in a similar top-9 scoring role.

Blues really have no reason to be trading Shattenkirk barring extreme overpayment that they'd be stupid not to. They have capspace, nice prospects, a solid line-up, goaltending depth, etc... a very enviable franchise.

If we really want to make a run at a defender, Yandle is the one that makes the most sense. I'd rather we draft a stud with the no.11 pick and make some minor signings. Highly unlikely this team can 'fix' the defense in one offseason with the worst UFAs in a while. L. Schenn and Gustafsson are developing quite nicely anyway. 'Selling the farm' with one of the most barren prospect pools on a team that missed the playoffs and is clearly not 'one piece away' is a bad idea.
The only problem with the Blues cap space is they never spend to the max. They have spent just under 50 million per year on average for their hockey team. This year they spent 52 million. I remember last year the Blues fans were a little scared of the idea of an offer sheet after the Weber ordeal. Now they changed their attitude since the offseason is closer and it is a little more of a realistic option. I am not saying an offer sheet works, but it will end up like Nashville. They won't insta-match like their GM will say they will.

That's why I said them losing in the playoffs early increases the slim odds there is they have to contemplate trading Shatty or Piety. The offseason is always entertaining and i'm sure if Piety remains unsigned for any extended period of time the rumors will start to swirl about us.