View Single Post
Old
05-01-2013, 07:55 PM
andersej

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Great info! So you are one of an elite bunch.
Malmö has really had a hard time getting back to SEL and seem to disappoint very year.. But whether Malmö plays in Allsvenskan or SEL would it really change the Danish supporter numbers significantly??
I think you would need an "Øresund team" in SEL with arena at the Copenhagen side to boost numbers. It seems the Swedes are more willing to cross west of the bridge than Danes are willing to cross east! So who knows...probably wont work. Fanbase are with all likelihood tied to much to Malmö for moving the club over the bridge.

More like a crazy few. I doubt it would change the numbers a whole lot, but I guess for the uninitiated it sounds a lot better to be in the top flight. In terms of actual level of play, a top Allsvenskan team is often more than a match for a (demoralised) bottom SEL team - as witnessed by the success rate of the Allsvenskan teams in the promotion playoffs in recent years. It seems that every season at least one and sometimes two Allsvenskan teams gains promotion, relegating one or two SEL teams in the process.

I don't see any scenario where Malmö moves the team to Copenhagen. The interest is so much higher on the Swedish side that it would be a huge risk to move to Copenhagen. Also, the arena in Malmö is bigger than the one planned in Ørestad. It's more likely that Copenhagen gains a KHL team. That might draw some Swedes. Come for the hockey - stay for the beer! They would need a sponsorship deal in the 8-10 million Euro a year range a la Saxo Bank. Might be worth it for someone like Carlsberg or another company with a presence in Russia. KHL newcomers Zagreb is reported to work with a player salary of 10 million Euros.

andersej is offline   Reply With Quote