View Single Post
Old
05-01-2013, 10:57 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I actually like Carlyle as a coach, but the double-standard with Kadri/Gardiner is so polarizing in Toronto. Last year, Gardiner could do no wrong, was overall very good for a rookie and Kadri was toiling away in the minors. This year, it's been the complete opposite.

The whole Toronto situation over the past 5-6 years has bothered me, honestly. I'm not a fan of theirs, but I'm from and the area and I just don't understand why they tried to push for the playoffs, when it was clear they needed a complete rebuild.

They could have had a young core going forward of Seguin, Kadri, Hamilton, Gardiner, another top-3 pick in 2011 (Landeskog/Huberdeau), a top-5 pick in 2012 (Reilly) and another top-5 pick this year (Barkov/Drouin). Then, they could have gone out and started spending money to insulate those players, and suddenly they'd really be on the upswing. I don't think it's a guarantee, by any stretch, that this Leafs team is a playoff team going forward and it's really a damn shame, because Toronto loves hockey and the Leafs have fans all across Ontario.

Not all the trades Brian Burke made were bad, a lot of them were good.. but it wasn't what the team needed at the time and they really missed out on having a great, competitive team for the next 10-15 years, IMO.. because, again, it'll probably be a struggle for them to make the playoffs next year, and if they loose Kessel next summer, I don't know what they'll do.
Well, I think Burke underestimated just how bad the team was...people make it sound like he traded Kessel for Seguin, etc. or a #2 overall pick, etc...when really he was traded him for first round picks he (wrongfully) assumed would end up being later in the draft than they were. He didn't think that 2010 was going to be a cup contender (or even a playoff team)...but I'm sure he didn't think it would have the 2nd worst record in the NHL.

He also underestimated the fans' tolerance for a full out rebuild. The media's nasty and the fans take "bipolar" to levels that are extreme, even for a sports team - but the fans never ever desert the team...and even if they whined non-stop wouldn't have abandonned ship during a rebuild.

It's a bit like in Calgary where you've got a team who is currently too good to be truly awful (tonight, notwithstanding) and too bad to be overly competitive.

As far as the "young core" you're suggesting, who knows. It's the "butterfly effect" where one move can change the core of things - had he not traded for Kessel you can't say for sure how things would have turned out.

Re Carlyle - I think he's awful for the team...and I think his "system" is a joke.

I'm waiting to see whether Kessel bails on the team...at this point I don't know why he wouldn't. Then they're really ****ed.