View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 09:26 AM
jml87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
IMO, Not really. Although it seems like the Phillies are slowly falling away toward a losing team like the Eagles did their past few years I wouldn't compare the head honchos of each club in that manner. Manuel accomplished more in what he was asked to do in a much shorter time span than Reid did. Plus, Reid had a much larger role in the downfall of the Eagles over the past few years with his gameplans, roster decisions, coaching decisions (Castillo... still WTF?), etc.

Manuel's decisions are a lot less. In game he's got control over the lineup, and when to take out players/pitchers and that's about it. Sure, he isn't exactly great at the strategic moves, but the product on the field is much more reflective of player output in baseball than it is football.

Now, I'm not saying Charlie should stay. A shake-up could very well be in order in the near future, and Charlie very well could be candidate #1. But comparing him to Reid is off-base IMO. Reid's downfall was largely his own making as I previously described in his role. Charlie's teams under-performing is more of a mixture of Charlie, Ruben, and the players on the field all not doing as well as we'd like them to.
I'm less comparing him to Reid and his decisions and comparing it more to the situation. The management of the Eagles held onto Reid for far too long because of his past success and their relationship to him. Phillies management are doing the same thing. After last year's terrible season, they should've gone in a different direction, but they didn't, wanting Charlie to finish out his contract and go out on his own terms. The Eagles kept Reid the entire 2012 season when it was obvious that he wasn't going to lead the Eagles anywhere. I'm just afraid the Phillies will do the same and waste another year. Whereas the Eagles didn't really have too many veterans who were nearing the end of their careers and needed to win now, the Phillies are stocked full of them.

I refuse to believe a rotation of Halladay, Hamels, and Lee as well as a lineup that has Utley, Howard, and Rollins can't make some noise. Yes they're old, but they are better than this, they have no direction. Charlie has no idea what to do with them. He just keeps saying the same things and doing the same things. 'We gotta hit, we gotta score some runs.' That's great, Charlie, now how are you going to accomplish that. Things like hit and run, squeeze bunt, etc., aren't even in his vocabulary. He keeps expecting the 2009 lineup to show up and it's not happening. I'm tired of Charlie Manuel. He was outmanaged in 2010 by the Giants and 2011 by the Cardinals. Then last year, of course. I'm not blaming him for all of this but he didn't help. I gave him a reprieve last year, but I don't want to waste this year, too, cause management is too scared to fire their folk hero.

He needs to go before this deficit gets too big.