View Single Post
05-02-2013, 10:14 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
How come Gardiner was physically strong or mature enough a year ago, but now he isn't? He's 23 now I think, the physical maturity should be there by now...I think it's a mental thing with him, the tools are there he just needs his confidence back. Personally, I have an issue with all the good quality lefties we have on D, and so little on the right...that's why I'd make the trade, to get a potential top pairing rh d like Ristolainen.
He wasn't physically strong enough a year ago. He was playing for Rotten Ronny who wasn't concerned with defense.

Just watch Jake play... he simply can not stop players from driving to the net. He can't tie them up, can't push them out from the front of the crease. It was happening under Ronny and it's still happening (when he gets minutes) under Uncle Randy.

TBH I think Liles is just as bad at these things and I'd rather see Jake in there developing.

As for trading for the 11th pick. Ristolainen is far from a sure thing and 3-4 years away from making an impact in the NHL. RHD's are nice but I only make a move for the 11th pick if I have something worked out that turns that pick and the Leafs' pick into the 5th pick so they can draft a potential #1 C (Monahan).

It'll be much easier for Nonis to trade for an established #2 D to pair with Dion than finding a #1C.

Trading Jake for a pick to draft another D-man is poor asset management. We just spent two years developing Jake... and then we would have to start all over again with Risto.

If Nonis is desperate for a RHD and Jake is the asset he wants to move, it would make a lot more sense to pull off a trade similar to the Schenn for JVR swap. Two guys with roughly the same experience. This team needs to keep moving forward and you can't do that by trading guys who are nearly established NHLers for draft picks.

veedubn1 is online now   Reply With Quote