View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 10:34 AM
yianik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I'm not suggesting Zykov will be a bust because of this...but to me he has a higher bust risk than guys like Morin Gauthier and even Mantha.
Im actually not familiar enough with most of the individual players to make any comment on their pros and cons, I was just making a general comment on the size issue translating to the NHL with a couple of specific players I do know about as an example. The skating issue for me became a real problem for the team in the Houle days because we burned so many 1st round picks because we kept drafting guys who had lots of good qualities, but couldn't skate eg Terry Ryan, Matt Higgins, Eric Chouinard, Jason Ward etc. As a rule of thumb, and I know there are exceptions, if a guy cant skate you don't draft him in the 1st round, unless hes a goalie. Back then, the team would say the player will improve his foot speed, but never would enough to make it. I just decided that for me, picking a guy who would be a star if he could just improve his speed was always a trap for wasting a pick, because none of the number of guys we chose with that deficiency were ever able to overcome it.

Last edited by yianik: 05-02-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typo