View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 11:01 AM
heretik27

vCash: 500
Thoughts on preemptive hits (a la Letang on Tavares)

The hit they're showing on the NHL website right now is what I'm looking to discuss. When I was younger I had a player do pretty much the same thing to me about 10 feet away from the puck and ended up getting injured. Chest muscles between the pecks felt all tight for years later. Doctor described it as instead of it being like an elastic it was more like duct tape.

Anyways, bringing up my personal experience here because I really don't like these type of hits because they're away from the puck and often catch people off guard like Letang's hit on Tavares. I believe people have a right to protect themselves on the play, but there's a line that seems to get crossed when you do this away from the puck.

Dustin Brown's recent suspension came about because he tried to do the same thing and ended up elbowing that poor guy in the face instead of absorbing the hit after playing the puck.

I'm hoping people can at least understand my point and not ridicule it. I'm not a Pittsburgh hater, in fact since you picked up Iggy I've been following the games and really come to liking the team.

So anyways, ignoring everything else like what team someone plays for and who's doing the hitting/receiving do people think that it tends to be a bit dangerous or do you see it as being perfectly fine? To me it's a hit on an unsuspecting player away from the puck and should be discouraged in all levels of hockey.