View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 12:29 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
First, I'm not sure I'd call Nashville a precarious market, but that's your opinion.
That is why I added "somewhat". Nashville isn't a precarious market, but would they be in 3 years if they go for an Oilers type of rebuild? I think it's possible. Again just my opinion.

Quote:
Second, reports are that Barkov is probably the second most NHL ready player in the draft, behind only Mackinnon.
As a fan of a team that has had three 1sts in a row, "NHL ready" doesn't mean ready to be an impact player in the NHL. I highly suspect that if the only move Nashville makes this summer is adding a 18/19 yo Barkov, they will likely be on the outside of the playoffs next season as well. In 2-3 years, Barkov + the current roster might be enough to get it done. But if you pin your hopes for next season on teenagers, you will probably be disappointed.

Quote:
Third, I don't think taking the BPA (and the last real difference making forward available in this draft, not counting VN) signals some kind of Oilers style rebuild.
I didn't mean to suggest it did. My thoughts were that the loss of Suter, and then the trading of Erat for a young kid, put Nashville behind where they were the past few seasons. They didn't have much luck in adding the forwards needed to compete when they had W+S, but they know they need to get those kind of guys. So they can either hope that this time a trade/signing brings them a top forward, they can spend a couple of years at the bottom to draft the guys they need and wait for them to mature, or they can try to do it all this season, by trading down a few spots for a Lindholm/Monahan level player and picking up another top 6er while doing so.

At least that is how I see their options.

Quote:
This year was very likely a fluke, due to missing almost two lines of forwards for the last month and a half of the season. A smart draft and a smarter free agency, and Nashville should be right back to where they were.
Could be, for sure, but most every non-playoff team is just a few less injuries and a few player pick ups away from getting into the playoffs. What makes Nashville's chances of having that happen better than every other team?

Quote:
Adding Matt freaking Stajan doesn't change that. Nashville has waited virtually its entire existence to draft a forward this level...I'm sorry, I just don't see it trading one great piece for 2 or 3 "goods."
I didn't suggest it did. In fact I specifically said that the Preds would probably look for more skill. So from Calgary, Cammy or Tanguay might be of interest. From the Oilers, Paajarvi or Hemsky. Etc.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote