View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I'm a Blues fan coming in peace and I just want to explain our financial position to clear some things up. I'll just respond to posts if questions are brought up as I don't want to stir things up.

We have been on a budget for quite awhile, that is true. It is also true that last season, we would have been profitable if we went on a deep playoff run. That kind of sums up last season.

Over the summer, Armstrong was given a budget, and we made competitive offers to Carle an Garrison. For majority of the season we were spending under budget by about 4-5 million.

Our ownership has been cutting costs, most notably John Davidson at $2 million and the Peoria Rivermen that was operating at an unknown loss and it was a significant amount, so take what Vancouver paid us and take the loss out, and that is a significant amount. Ownership also cut numerous other positions on the non-hockey side. Basically, a lot of non-essential costs have been cut.

We have local ownership that are huge Blues fans, and they do have money, in particular the Taylor family, they own Enterprise and are billionaires. We have the ability to spend whatever we want, but they don't want to lose a boatload of money either.

Blues fans do expect a move to be made, but the moves we expect include moving a forward from the group of Perron/Berglund/Stewart/Oshie and possibly moving Halak. Reasons for these trades could be failure in the playoffs, financial, or young players like Jaskin or Allen taking their spot.

Hope this kind of clears things up and explains why we aren't too worried about losing our defensemen. Now, if you have interest in any of those forwards or Halak, then we could discuss a deal, but Schenn would probably be the only player that we'd have interest in, as we need a center to take more offensive minutes since we have Backes to play the shutdown role.
Appreciate the write-up, thanks!