View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 12:38 PM
StoneHands

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
We didn't have Richards and Carter on the roster when we drafted Couturier. They were traded a couple of days before that draft. I can't speak for everybody but once the 7th pick passed and Sean was still there I was praying Homer wasn't going to F it up and not take him. He was the BPA at that point and ranked number 1 overall at certain points during that year.

You always take the BPA. You don't draft for needs like they do in football and other drafts. Besides its better to take centers because you can always convert them to wing.
You're right, brain fart on the Carter and Richards trades. But still, that year, they had Giroux, Schenn, and Briere still locked up for a few years.

I agree though, and I liked the Couturier pick then, and still do now. As you said, you pick BPA especially that earlier in the draft. Looking back though, it may have been better if we would have picked Dougie which is who a lot of people wanted.

The only problem with BPA is that if there is a Center and a defenseman that msot people feel are equal, the Flyers will almost certainly take the forward. Not that it's a bad thing, forwards seem easier to project than defenseman. I just see a lot of people listing 3-4 defenseman that they want with the first pick and I'm just saying, don't be shocked if they pick a forward, or even more specifically a center again.