View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

vCash: 500
If they’re looking at the UFA route for a defenseman, one guy I hope JR takes a run at is Toni Lydman. While he wouldn’t be the sexiest acquisition considering his age and declining play, I think he’d still be a solid pick-up. Lydman is a SAH type defenseman who will play a solid defensive game, block shots and provide a decent level of physicality. The downside is that he’s not going to bring much in the way of offense and his decision making with the puck is seemingly about getting it off of his stick as fast as possible. I don’t think that would be too big of an issue if Lydman were to be paired with someone who’s able to move the puck effectively. Ideally, he would be slotted next to fellow Finn Joni on the 2nd pair. Despite being a LHS, Lydman’s able to play the right side. The versatility in Lydman being able to play either side would come in handy when Joni inevitably gets hurt during the season. My guess is that a 2 year deal at the $3 mil per he's making on his expiring contract (http://www.capgeek.com/player/386) should be enough to get him, but the UFA market is hard to predict.

Gleason - Faulk
Pitkanen - Lydman
Harrison - Komisarek?
MAB?