View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Drafting a goalie every year or every other year in a later round (definitely NOT the first) is how I'd do it. But I'd DEFINITELY have my scouts looking out for the 23, 24 year old undrafted guys who are starting to emerge in these leagues.

Another quick add-on point. I don't think there's that much talent difference between NHL goalies and some of their counterparts around the world the way there is between NHL skaters and skaters around the league. Goalies are the hardest to predict in a way because it's hard to spot the separation. (The separation is mental.) With skaters you can see who's really got certain tools and who has certain limitations. Skaters also almost always make their NHL impact way earlier.
I think the Blues can improve on this in terms of goalies and skaters. The only question is whether we will have the capacity to grab those players with the new AHL situation. It seems we have a lot less flexibility in that area now. It could force us to make decisions sooner on our prospects.

If we are simply signing those older, unsigned players to one-way contracts then the situation may be different, but we would need available NHL roster space.

It will be an interesting dynamic to monitor.