View Single Post
Old
09-17-2006, 01:42 PM
SuperUnknown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
This is indeed black and white for me. I have a hard time understanding how this is not a black and white situation, you are correct. So enlighten me, and I say this with no hostility: if you have a 25-year old who has no interest in taking part in society, is increasingly depressed and angry, whose primary interest seems to be their guns, would you permit them to continue living in your home? Would you not do anything, and just hope they get out of their depression?

I do not believe it is standard for 25-year old leeches to go on shooting rampages. I do not believe it was Gill's parents responsibility to foresee him doing this. I don't think they could have anticipated this.

I do believe it is part of parenting to give your child one last shove out the door if they're not doing anything constructive by the time they are adults, and refuse any help. It does a child no good to stay at home into their late 20s and 30s if they are not at school, not working, and not enjoying life.
As a parent, I don't know what I would do. It's easy to say: "I would do this or that", but when you really get into the situation, it's really something else.

When asked what they would do if there was an agression on the street right before their eyes, most people say they would react one way or another. When the situation happens, a huge majority just walks by and do nothing.

My uncle has been living with his parents (forever), he's not employed, he's not an active part of society. Are his parents to blame for this? I don't know, and frankly it's not my place to judge that. Would I do the same? I don't know, probably not, but it's hard to judge until you're the one in the spotlight.

Kicking someone out often doesn't give out the results you wish it would. Would you rather have an inactive child safe at home or on the streets without any news?

Are his parents to blame? I don't know, I'll leave it to them to judge it for themselves. It's not my role or my place to judge their actions or lack of actions, and there's nothing to say that whatever they would have done could have prevented this, nobody knows.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote